Monday, May 27, 2013

I (Darian Woodson) am going to tell you how got my Mallard ducklings on May 6th 2013. It was a very quiet day, and my mother and I was driving home from our trip to Hilliard- Rome, Ohio. Suddenly I was talking to her about me keeping ducks, and how amazing it would be to have them and she just listened to me, well, atleast thats what I thought until she dropped the "when did i say you could get a duck" on me and then I had to explain.. she then started to say she did not know where I would keep them. Then I had to further explain. I then told her my plan on setting up some 6 foot high chicken fencing to keep them in, inside of my backyard. I told her how I will make them a house to sleep in and in the morning let them roam the yard. She then decided it was best that we hold an arguement over it and after that.. it was silent. The whole ride back was silent. I kicked back in the passenger seat and just grabbed my tablet and listened to music.. I was very angry that she did that and then I became very emotional. I was happy, then sad, then angry all in that order. So while we took that 45 minute drive to the house I came up with a plan. My plan was to just get the ducks, then she would see how cute they were and just want to keep them. I soon got with the plan and prepared. As we reared into the drive way I sat sadly in the car quietly and decided I would give up. So I went out into the backyard and fixed up the bird sanctuary. I watched as the European Starlings, House Sparrows, Common Grackles, Northern Cardinals, and House Finches all were doing their daily routine at my bird stations. I soon realized, I would be fine with the birds I already have, plus i enjoy them anyways and then I got a phone call. When I picked up, to my surprise it was my brother. He had told me that he went out with his 2 friends and on their way home, they stopped at a Meijers store and they were surprised to find 4 little Mallard ducklings walking in the parking lot by themselves. I asked him did he check for the mother anywhere and she was no where to be found . They soon waited.. and waited.. and no female duck showed up. They soon called Petsmart, they asked if they would accept them and they said no and gave my brother the number to the animal rehabilitation building. My brother called and it said they were closed. So their only option left was me.. the bird guy.. I was so happy and I was dying to meet them but I panicked about where I would keep them. I grabbed my tool box and ran into the garage and made a brooder. I grabbed my lamp and bent it over them because they were cold and I felt as though, I could handle them. So I did it! I have 2 boys and 2 girls! I had a guy vent sex them so I would know. Today they are 4 weeks of age, from the day I got them (5-6-13 my dad's birthday) to (5-27-13 memorial day).

Here is a couple pictures of them from the day I got them..



No comments:

Post a Comment